Re: UP Lighthouse tour

Email: mt19jal@sbcglobal.net
Date: 6/27/2004
Time: 9:45:30 PM
Remote Name: 68.248.191.136

Comments

Violet, The light at Baraga, called Sand Island I think, can be seen from the land side. It may be private property but i was there. Not visible from the road, you just need to know what drive way to go into. Jacobsville is privately owned but visible from the street and I walked up the driveway a little to get a picture. Copper Harbor you really need to take the lighthouse tour boat out of the Copper Harbor marina. The view from accross the harbor from the State Park is a long ways off. Eagle Harbor is open to the public. Eagle River is a private residence but you can get close. Its small tower is part of the house and many people probably miss it. Sand Hills is a B&B and allow people on the property and maybe inside if you see anyone and say you are a potential customer in the future. Both ends of the Keweenaw waterway have modern beacons on the North side of the Portage ship canal. On very clear days and good binoculars, one can find the Granite island and Huron Island lighthouses. They are miles out, but can be seen. Not easy to get to the mainland shore to see the Huron islands a few miles out, but can be done with good maps. After driving to all the above, i hired a pilot who flew me past them on a cloudy day. That is the only way to see Manitou Island and Gull Rock on the NE tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Jim

Copyright All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Terms of use