Cleveland Pier Light

Email: goldmam@si.edu
Date: 9/9/2004
Time: 3:44:26 PM
Remote Name: 160.111.79.113

Comments

I am a volunteer researcher at the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History (and a retired sailor) who is engaged in preparing an exhibit for the SI's web site on a small collection of old postcards of lighthouses. One of these is labeled "Lighthouse and Life Saving Station at Entrance to Cuyahoga River", and is postmarked "1912"; I can send an image of the front face of the card to any interested party. In attempting to identify this lighthouse, I have noted a lack of correspondence between the card image, and the appearance of the Cleveland West and East Pierhead lights, which I believe are closest in location to the entrance to the Cuyahoga, as they appear in several websites and texts. I would greatly appreciate any information about the identity of this light and its location with respect to contemporary navigation aids. I can be contacted at the Smithsonian e-mail address. Thank you for whatever insights anyone may be able to provide. Morton I. Goldman Volunteer Researcher NMAH Smithsonian Institution

Copyright All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Terms of use