Re: Tybee Island

From: Bob H
Location: Fairport Harbor, O
Date: 2/12/2006
Time: 9:13:01 AM
Remote Name:


The original tower was constructed in 1773 with a height of 100 feet. During the Civil War, the upper part was destroyed by fire by Confedrate Forces but in 1867 a new tower was built over the old raising it's height to 154 feet. The new tower included a First Order Fresnel lens which still is in use today, lighting the night sky. It is 1 of 13 such type lens still used today for navigational purposes. The accompanying buildings are original structures of the light station.

Copyright All Rights Reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Terms of use