Barcelona (Portland Harbor) Light
Built in 1829, after extensive lobbying by local residents who hoped to generate commerce for the area that was then known as Portland, New York.
The conical fieldstone tower and attached fieldstone dwelling are one of the oldest structures of its kind on the Great Lakes
The station was the first public building in the US to be lighted by natural gas after natural gas was discovered nearby and piped to tower.
The lantern and light have been removed and replaced with a wood frame that defines where the lantern once was.
The light was decommissioned in 1859, when the Lighthouse Board discovered that Barcelona had no harbor. The station was sold at auction in 1872.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com