Buffalo South Entrance Southside Light
By Dave Wobser

A round, steel structure marking the southside of the south entrance to the Buffalo. The black base supports a white tower that is 30 feet tall topped by a white lantern room with diamond-shaped window panes. 

The light has a strange shaped fog signal building attached. The large cone shape, facing the lake, contains two trumpets that were used for various for horn tests.

This entrance saw substantial traffic when the adjacent steel mill was active. The light is located on property that was the former Bethlehem Steel Company in Lackawanna, NY. The light is near the entrance to the steel mill slip.

The light can be seen from the south end of Fuhrman Street near Tift Street.

Click on images to enlarge

Photograph by Brian Wroblewski

2011 Photos by Dave Wobser

Land (back) side view


Fog signal building close-up


Lantern detail


Lake side view


Trumpets close-up

Location: South entrance to Buffalo Harbor
Date Built: 1903
Active: Automated 1935

Open to
public:

No

 

Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Erie Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com