Cleveland - 1872

According to histories of early Cleveland, the Federal Government built a "Lighthouse on a bluff overlooking the Lake in 1830". That light was replaced in 1872 by the majestic lighthouse pictured here. It was located at Wets 9th Street and Main Avenue N. W., and was the "highest structure in the surrounding country". The tower was removed in 1894 and the rest of the structure in 1937, making way for the Main Avenue Bridge.

 The photograph and text are displayed courtesy of the Great Lakes Historical Society, Vermilion, Ohio. They were taken from the Society's 2003 Calendar and were edited by Al Hart. Image may not be reproduced with the expressed permission of GLHS

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph courtesy of
The Great Lakes Historical Society


Photoshop mat-painting - Richard Wood

   
Date Built: 1872
   
   
 
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Erie Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com