Cleveland West Pierhead Light
Located at Cleveland, Ohio, the West Pierhead Light is built at the end of a 4-mile long concrete pier. The West Pierhead Light and East Pierhead lights were built in 1911 to guide ships to the entrance of Cleveland Harbor and the Cuyahoga River. A light station had existed in the area since 1831.
Attached to the 67-foot steel tower is a one and a half story iron fog signal building that was also built in 1911. The keepers quarters are included in the tower. Other structures on the site include a steel sound signal building constructed in 1916 and a radio beacon.
The light held a Fourth Order Fresnel lens that was removed and put on display at the Great Lakes Science Center.
From 1876 to 1976, the U. S. Life Saving Service and later the U. S. Coast Guard, maintained a station on the West Pier at the mouth of the Cuyahoga River. The station rescued shipwrecked sailors and those endangered by storm and flood, carried food and supplies to isolated communities and eliminated navigational hazards. The station occupied a series of wooden structures until 1940, when a modern station resembling a ship was built on the site. When the Coast Guard left the site in 1976, the station went on to house quality control laboratories of the City of Cleveland's Division of Water. The station is presently abandoned. The Coast Guard operates out of a station at the foot of East Ninth Street, adjacent to the museum ship William G. Mather.
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com