Conneaut West Breakwater Light
 

Conneaut was an important shipping point for grain, whiskey, and forest products in the 19th century. Today, the products shipped from the port include limestone and coal.

The port was first marked by a lighthouse on a pier in 1835. By 1885, the pier had become too deteriorated, and a light was exhibited from a tower located adjacent to the keeper's dwelling, which had been constructed at the end of Harbor Street in 1873.

In the 1890s, a new Conneaut Lighthouse was built at the end of a pier. This lighthouse served until 1917, when at a cost of $125,000, a new lighthouse was built on a cement crib, located at the end of a long breakwater on the west side of the harbor. This lighthouse consisted of a unique, square two-story brick and cement edifice, with a tower rising an additional story from one corner.

In 1935, the cement lighthouse was blasted from its bedrock grip on the crib using dynamite and was replaced by a new, sleek tower costing $70,000. Upon completion, the 11,000-candlepower light source atop the shaft produced a beam that could be seen seventeen miles out into Lake Erie. The tower also housed a fog horn that would blast air through a 3.5 inch pipe and metal vibrator. The resulting sound could be heard from about fifteen miles.

Originally painted white, the tower was later given a horizontal black band as a daymark. The lantern room from the original lighthouse was used atop the modern tower until 1972, when the light was automated and a modern beacon replaced the lantern room. Today, the tower produces alternating red and white flashes with a five second period.

A secondary light has been placed on the east breakwater. This beacon displays a green light.

 

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph by Greg Lortz

Location: Conneaut, Ohio
Date Built:  
Active: Yes

Open to
public:

No

 

Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Erie Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com