Dunkirk (Point Gratiot) Lighthouse
Situated on a bluff overlooking Lake Erie, southwest of Buffalo and marking Dunkirk, New York. The station was built in 1875 to replace a 1829 light.
The square brick tower was initially round but shortly after construction was squared, according to local tradition, to blend better with the angular dwelling.
The upper 2/3 of the tower is painted white. The lantern room houses a Third Order Fresnel lens that is 82 feet above lake level. The light is still active and visible for 17 miles.
The tower is connected by an enclosed brick passageway to the brick two-story dwelling. The dwelling is High Victorian Gothic style.
A metal oil house stands near the dwelling. Also on the grounds is one of the Buffalo Bottle Lights that formerly marked the Buffalo Breakwater.
The station is leased to a veterans organization and open to the public.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com