Erie Land Light
Built in 1867 to replace an original 1819 light, and a second tower constructed in 1857. The 41 foot conical sandstone tower is located in Lighthouse Park at the end of Dunn Blvd., in Erie, Pennsylvania.
Originally known as Presque Isle Station, the name was changed to Erie Light Station in 1870, and it is now know as Erie Land Light.
The light was discontinued in 1881 and re-lighted in 1885. The light was again discontinued in 1897. The lantern room and Fourth Order Fresnel Lens was removed and used at Marblehead, Ohio where the tower had been extended.
The tower has been renovated, and a historically accurate (1897) lantern has been returned to the top of the tower. A fixed white beacon was shown from the restored lantern on June 19, 2004. The work was accomplished through the Erie-Western Pennsylvania Port Authority who received a grant of $300,000 from the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation and another for $90,000 from the Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com