Built in 1855, the original wooden frame lighthouse was destroyed by fire on New Years Eve in 1863. Few remains of the original foundation are visible today.
IN 1865, a new two-story structure was completed It consisted of a stone light structure, attached two-story dwelling, an outbuilding and concrete walkways. The light remained active until it was automated by the Coast Guard in 1939.
Once called Strontian Island, Green Island was a prime source of crystallized celestite (or strontain).
Today the island is uninhabited and not open to the public. The island is part of the Ohio Division of Wildlife's only Island Wildlife Area. Only the walls of the dwelling remain standing.
The historical photograph and text are displayed courtesy of the Great Lakes Historical Society, Vermilion, Ohio. They were taken from the Society's 2003 Calendar and were edited by Al Hart. Image may not be reproduced with the expressed permission of GLHS.
A series of 2005 pictures:
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com