Horseshoe Reef (Ruins)
Completed in 1856, this light marking a reef near the head of the Niagara River was actually in Canada. IN 1903, the border moved and placed the light in U.S. waters.
The light had a focal plane of 50 feet above the water, flashed red every 5 seconds, and was visible approximately 10 miles into Lake Erie.
The light became redundant in 1920 when the Buffalo Water Intake Crib was located nearby and was marked with a light. The Reef light was abandoned and left to decay.
The structure is not totally abandoned as it has become home to a colony of cormorants for the last 20 years.
What remains of the Horseshoe Reef Light is visible, just off-shore, from the Erie Marine Basin, across the Buffalo River from the USCG station. This is also a good place to view the Buffalo Main Light and one of the Buffalo Bottle Lights.
The ruins can also be viewed from Fort Erie on the Canadian side.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com