Lorain West Breakwater Light
A square, two-story, steel and concrete structure with the lantern extending thru the roof. Built on the west breakwater in 1917 to replace an 1857 tower. The lights marks the end of the breakwater on the west side of the entrance to Lorain harbor. A small steel tower marks the East side breakwater.
Decommissioned in 1966, the building was scheduled to be demolished by the USCG. Local residents raised funds and lobbied to successfully save the light. The station is presently owned by the Port of Lorain and restoration is underway.
2008 Restoration progress - Dave Wobser
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com