Mohawk Island Light
The Mohawk Island Light was built in 1848 to guide vessels to Port Maitland, which was then the upper entrance to the Welland Canal. The stone tower and small keeper's dwelling were located on a small island 1.5 miles off shore from Lowbanks, Ontario in Lake Erie.
The conical limestone tower has had the lantern removed and only walls of the keeper's dwelling remain standing.
The last keeper was Richard (Dick) Foster. Foster and his son James (Jim), died in a blizzard on their way home from the island in December, 1932. Their bodies were eventually recovered and buried on January 2, 1933. The light was automated the next year, and deactivated in 1969.
The island and lighthouse have been unmanned since 1932, and has become a rookery for ring-bill and herring gulls, cormorants and rock doves. The public is encouraged to stay away from the island, which is a national wildlife area, during the nesting period. The island is off-limits from April 1 until August 1.
A distant view of the remaining structures is possible from the end of Pyle Road in Lowbanks.
The Mohawk Lighthouse Preservation Association is working to restore the site. The organization can be contacted at 905-774-2590 or via email at email@example.com.
The following poem was written to commemorate the last keeper and his son, and was published in the Dunville Chronicle:
Death Gains a Victory
Three days amid the ice and
The slush ice closed about its
Father nor son, ne'er thought
Their bodies numbed by the
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com