Monroe Harbor Light
The Monroe (Michigan) Harbor Light was built and put into use in 1849, on the breakwater at the mouth of the River Raisin. It was maintained by the United States government.
The light showed a fixed red light, visible for 13 miles. It was illuminated by oil until the turn of the century when electricity became available.
The keeper's house was build in 1860. It was extensively rebuilt in 1893 following the ravages of an April gale that severely damaged the structure.
In 1916 an automatic gas lighting system was installed and the structure abandoned as a keeper was no longer needed.
It was sold a few years later, dismantled and the remains towed away.
No evidence of the light remains.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com