Port Colborne Inner and Outer Lights
Port Colborne is the southern terminus of the Welland Canal, which links Lakes Erie and Ontario, allowing shipping to bypass Niagara Falls. (Port Weller serves as the northern terminus.) Today, the canal is an important part of the St. Lawrence Seaway system, which allows ocean-going ships to travel to and from all five of the Great Lakes.
The first lighthouse was constructed in 1834. The light was replaced in 1903 by a light on the breakwall on the east side of the canal, now known as the Inner Light. In 1928, the Outer Light was built on the west breakwall. Today, both lights guide vessels through the canal.
Outer Light - The Port Colborne Outer Lighthouse was built in 1928 to replace some older light structures out on the breakwall. The continuous red light, with a focal plane of 36 feet, is shown from a square cylindrical concrete tower with lantern and gallery, rising from the center of a 1-story concrete fog signal building. The lighthouse, floodlit at night, is painted white, lantern red.
Inner Light - The Inner Lighthouse square, pyramidal tower with lantern and gallery, attached to a 1-story keeper's house. The house is painted white, and the lantern and gallery red. A flashing white light is displayed, from a height of 50 feet, every ten seconds and is visible for 15 miles.
Both lights are located on breakwaters that are not connected to land, therefore are difficult to photograph except by boat.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com