The present Ashtabula light is the fourth to be located here. The first light was built in 1836, followed by other structures in 1876, and 1905.
The present square iron and steel structure was moved to the north end of the west Ashtabula breakwater in 1916. The tower stands 40 feet above Lake Erie.
Access to the light is only by boat and is difficult to photograph.
The historical photographs and text are displayed courtesy of the Great Lakes Historical Society, Vermilion, Ohio. They were taken from the Society's 2003 Calendar and were edited by Al Hart. Image may not be reproduced with the expressed permission of GLHS.
A series of 2009 photos by Mike Hadley
2010 Photos by Dave Wobser
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com