Manhattan Range Lights
By Dave Wobser

The former Manhattan Range Lights, that guided vessels into the Maumee River and Port of Toledo for many years, has been moved from their original location near the mouth of the river. The rear light has been replaced by a skeleton tower and day marker.

The Rear Range is now located in the front yard of H. Hansen Industries, at 2824 North Summit Street, in Toledo. The original tower stood 80 feet above the water, and has been lowered to 20 feet. The pale yellow, square metal building serves as a lantern room and is surrounded by a walkway. A blue metal roof and ventilator ball top the structure. The light is easily viewed from North Summit Street.

The former Front Range Light is located near a restaurant on Broadway Street near the Toledo Zoo.

The range lights received their name (Manhattan) from the name of the town that was located here at the terminus of the Miami and Erie Canal. Manhattan was combined with the town of Vistula, which was further up river, to form the town of Toledo.

Click on image to enlarge

Former Rear Range Light
Photograph by Dave Wobser

Click on image to enlarge

Former Front Range Light


Current Front Range Light
Photo by Edward J. Keene

Location: Toledo, Ohio
Date Built: 1918
Active: No

Open to public:

No
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Erie Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com