Southeast Shoal Light
The concrete and steel structure marks the eastern end of the Pelee Passage and the deeper water of Lake Erie. This island region in western Lake Erie is is the shallowest part of the lake.
The bulk of commerce on the lake radiates from the mouth of the Detroit River to the various ports on Lake Erie, the Niagara River, and to the Welland Canal.
Most of the vessel traffic proceeds from the Detroit River through the north part of the island region and Pelee Passage. This is the most important channel of the lake, guiding vessels plying between Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.
Prior to the light station being built in the 1920's, a lightship was placed placed on the shoal in 1901. The Lake Carriers Association chartered a light ship for the location when the Canadian government did not see fit to locate a light in the area.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Erie Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com