Hope Island Light
Hope Island is an approximate 400 acre island located in Southern Georgian Bay and is part of a chain of islands leading to the ports of Midland, Penetanguishene, Victoria Harbour and Port McNicholl.
Hope Island Light station was built by local contractors to a standard government design in 1884. It was positioned in a line of lights (Western islands, Giants Tomb, Brebeuf) in order to ensure safe passage for the heavily traveled shipping lanes carrying grains and other products from US and Lake Superior Ports to the elevators and industries of Northern Simcoe County.
The structure is a 45’ high tapered, square wooden tower with an attached 1-1/2 storey dwelling. The light station was automated in 1988 after 104 years of continuous light keeping and remains an active aid to navigation today.
This site is of great significance to the area as it is the last of these stations to retain all of its original buildings (1884 lighthouse, 1904 Fog Plant, 2 separate keepers houses, generator shed, 1884 boat house and of course the original 2-seater outhouse).
Hope Island light was also one of the first in the region to house a ship to shore radio system that provided regular weather reports and shipping information (radio room still in original 1940’s condition) This was also one of the first light stations in Canada to have a female lightkeeper.
Huronia Light station Preservation Society in partnership with Beausoliel First Nation has initiated an extensive restoration of this lighthouse and grounds. Lighthouse building not current open to the Public, grounds under control of Department of Fisheries and Oceans.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com