Located on Cabot Head Point, on Georgian Bay, this light marks the northeast tip of the Bruce Peninsula that separates Georgian Bay from Lake Huron.
Built in 1896, the wooden light tower was removed in 1971 when an automated airport-type light was install on a steel tower nearby. The wooden tower, which once topped the dwelling, was replaced in 1995, with a replica, as part of a restoration program by the Friends of Cabot Head. Friends have maintained public access (grounds and interior) since the station was restored in 1994-95.
The original, wood frame keepers dwelling has been restored and turned into a Timber and Maritime museum. It is furnished with many antiques and period furniture.
The grounds, dwelling and replica tower are open to the public. The station is located at the end of Dyers Bay Road, off Highway-6 on the Bruce Peninsula. The last 5 miles is decent gravel road along the shore of Georgian Bay.
As part of their Lighthouse Assistant Program, the museum recruits volunteers who take turns living at the lighthouse for one week from Victoria Day to Thanksgiving weekend. There is usually a waiting list. Volunteers give tours and perform minor maintenance. For more information: www.cabothead.ca or e-mail email@example.com, or write The Friends of Cabot Head, Box 233, Lions Head, Ontario Canada N0H 1W0.
More information can be found at http://www.cabothead.ca
Photos by Ian McInnis
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com