Another of the Imperial Towers, this light marks the south side of the entrance from Lake Huron into Georgian Bay. It is located on Gig Point on Cove Island.
Construction on the tower began in 1856 and the light became operational in 1858. The tower is an 80-foot tall whitewashed limestone structure with a red lantern on top. A small matching white limestone keepers dwelling, with a red tile roof, is located at the base of the tower.
The light station is part of a complex of buildings, a boathouse and radio tower located on the northern tip of the island.
The best view of the light station is from the glass-bottom boats that operate in the area, or from the ferry CHI-CHEEMAUN that runs between Tobermory and South Baymouth on Manitoulin Island.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com