Bay (Janet Head) Light
This small light marks the end of Janet Head, and the entrance to Gore Bay, on the north side of Manitoulin Island.
The light was established in 1879, the light was taken out of service in 1940 and is now a private residence. The structure is similar to the station at Mississagi Strait. A one-story wood frame dwelling with a square wooden tower rising from one corner. The structure is painted white with red trim and a red roof. The empty lantern room is also painted red.
Janet Head was named by a British naval officer in the 1820s, who named the headland after his daughter.
The light is located at the entrance to Janet Head Campground, at the end of Water Street, 2 miles NW of town of Gore Bay. This is a private residence, but can be photographed from the road.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com