The Mississagi Straits Light marks the south side of the passage from the North Channel of Georgian Bay to Lake Huron, between Manitoulin Island and Cockburn Island.
Built in 1873, Mississagi is the oldest light surviving light on Manitoulin Island. The 40-foot high wood frame tower rises from the corner of the 1-1/2 story frame keepers dwelling.
The keepers dwelling has been converted into a museum and is furnished with authentic 19th century furnishings. The old fog signal building houses a restaurant.
The station and museum is located at the far north end of Manitoulin Island, at the end of Highway-540 on Mississagi Lighthouse Road. A campground, museum and restaurant are operated by Mary Eadie and family.
The museum and grounds are free to walk through from the holiday weekend in May until the third Saturday in September.
More information is available at www.themississagilighthouse.com.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com