Point Clark Light
By Dave Wobser

One of six “Imperial Towers” constructed around Georgian Bay and the Bruce Peninsula by John Brown in the early 1850’s. All six tower still stand.

Point Clark is the only Imperial Tower located on the mainland, and therefore accessible by vehicle. The 90-foot high limestone tower warns mariners of a dangerous shoal which lies a few miles off shore. The tower is topped by a 12-sided lantern framed in cast iron.

The light has been proclaimed a Canadian National Historic Site, and continues as an active aid to navigation.

The keeper’s dwelling and garage also survive. The keeper’s dwelling has been turned into a maritime museum owned by the Canadian Parks Service and operated by Huron Township. It is open 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, mid-June through Labor Day.

The park surrounding the light offers swimming, restrooms and benches to enjoy the cool breezes.

The park is located nine miles south of Kincardine, Ontario, off Highway-21 on Concession #2 to Lighthouse Road. Follow the “lighthouse” signs.

Open from late June to Labor Day, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Open for groups by reservation in May and June.
For more information, call : (519) 395-2494 during open hours, or (519) 395-3735 for group reservations.

 

Click on images to enlarge


July 2014 photo by Jim Lindholm



2000 photo by Dave Wobser

Location: Amberly, Ontario
Date Built: 1859
Active: Yes

Open to
public:

 Yes
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Huron Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com