Located north of the village of Presque Isle, Michigan, on East Grand Lake Road, between Rogers City and Alpena, on a thin strip of land. Built in 1870-71 by General Orlando M. Poe to replace the Old Presque Isle Light (1840) which is located about 1 mile south. The white conical brick tower is 109-feet tall making it the tallest on the Great Lakes that is accessible to the public.
The tower features four arched windows below the gallery and wrought-iron brackets supporting the gallery. The light produces a focal plane 123-feet above Lake Huron. The tower is painted white with a dark green walkway around the lantern and a red lantern roof.
The original Third Order Fresnel Lens was made by Henri LePaute of Paris and was still in use until recently. The lens has been removed for restoration and replaced by a 100-watt rotating beacon. The light was automated in 1970.
In 1890, a steam operated fog signal manufactured by Variety Iron Works of Cleveland, Ohio was installed. The fog signal was removed long ago and the building was demolished in 1968. In 1984, a picnic pavilion was erected on the buildings foundation.
The rectangular 1.5-story brick keeper's dwelling has a gable roof and is connected to the tower by a short brick enclosed passageway. Other structures include a 1905 keepers quarters, garage and privy. The garage has been converted and modernized as a meeting hall, known as Garraty Hall.
In 1983, the Presque Isle Light Station was added to the National Register of Historic Places. A State Historical Marker was formally dedicated on July 6, 1991. In 1998, ownership of the lighthouse property, including buildings and lighthouse tower, was transferred from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to Presque Isle Township.
The dwelling has been converted to a museum in a 100-acre park developed by the Presque Isle Lighthouse Historical Society. The park includes nature trails, picnic tables and access to Lake Huron.
The lighthouse and tower are open from mid-May to mid-October, 7 days a week, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com