River Range Lights
The front range light was first established with a lantern on a pole, at the end of the pier, in 1883. The present front light is a 30-foot tall, tapered, white, wooden tower with a red roof and trim. The light is located at the end of a long pier extending into Lake Huron.
The rear light was not built until 1903, thereby creating a set of ranges. The rear light is similar to the front light and sits on a hill, a quarter of a mile behind the shoreline. The white building has a wide vertical stripe that serves as a daymark.
Both lights are locate on Rankin Street in South Hampton. The rear light is east of Highway-21, and the front light is west of Highway-21. Both lights are active aids to navigation and not open to the public, but can be viewed up close.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Huron Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com