Another round, red steel light of little distinction, the Buffington harbor Light marks the entrance to this busy harbor at the south end of Lake Michigan.
Established in 1926, the light is a private aid to navigation and serves the many lake freighters visiting the steel mill. The light sits on a round concrete pier at the end of a long rock breakwater.
The round tower has a small flat-roofed room at one side of the bottom, and is topped by octagonal lantern. Only a few small windows break the smooth tower sides.
The light is at the end of a private industrial pier and may only be viewed from the water.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com