Calumet Harbor Light
Calumet Harbor is is part of the south side of the city of Chicago, and is the mouth of the Calumet River. Commercial vessels can access the Mississippi River, from Calumet Harbor, via the Cal-Sag Canal and the Illinois Waterway.
The first Calumet Harbor Light was built 1906 on the new breakwater that was designed to provide a protected harbor. That light was a magnificent two-story structure that include a fog signal and enclosed boathouse. The 1906 station suffered from storms that rolled down Lake Michigan and it was replaced in 1930 by a two-story concrete structure with a short tower on top.
As vessels grew in size, the light marked a gap in the breakwater that was not usable by modern traffic. The 1930 light structure was removed in 1995. Only the base remains.
A modern "sewer pipe" light has been affixed to the remaining concrete base in 1998.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com