Indiana Harbor East Breakwater
In 1914, the federal government assumed responsibility for Indiana Harbor and the canal. An act of June 12, 1917, appropriated $100,000 for the establishment and improvement of aids to navigation at Indiana Harbor. A stone-filled crib topped with concrete was built along with 810 feet of the east breakwater under contract by Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Co of Chicago. A reinforced concrete lighthouse measuring forty-four by sixty-five feet and with a height of twenty feet was built atop the crib. This light appears to have been activated in 1921.
As fill was added to the lake surrounding the Indiana Harbor East Breakwater Lighthouse, the entrance to the harbor moved northward. The east breakwater was extended, and at its outermost point a newtower was erected in 1935 to guide freighters into Indiana Harbor. This modern structure is a twin to the tower placed on the Port Washington, Wisconsin breakwater the same year. Originally, a fourth-order Fresnel lens was used in the lighthouse, producing a white flash of one second duration every 7.5 seconds from a focal plan of 78 feet. Today, a modern green beacon sits atop the art deco tower sending out a signature of three seconds on followed by three seconds off.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com