Built in 1858 at a cost of $8,000, the Michigan City Light replaced a brick & stone lighthouse that had been built in 1837.
The light served as the major harbor beacon until 1904 when the lantern, lens and light was moved to a new structure (Michigan City East Pier Light) at the end of the pier. The pier had been extended in 1904.
The 1858 structure served as the keeper's dwelling until 1940, and was abandoned in 1960. The two-story rectangular stone & frame dwelling with a short, square tower and replica lantern on roof.
Located in Washington Park on Lake Michigan in Michigan City, Indiana. The building has been carefully restored and serves as a museum owned by Michigan City Historical Society. A Fourth Order Fresnel Lens is on display in the museum, along with many other items of interest to maritime buffs.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com