Manitou Shoal Light
This light marks the end of the North Manitou Shoal, which extends from North Manitou Island into the Manitou Passage between the islands and the Michigan shoreline. The light replaced a lightship that had been stationed here since 1910. The museum lightship HURON served this location in 1934.
The station is a square, two-story, white steel building set on a massive concrete crib. A smaller square tower rises from the center of the building. The lantern is glazed with diamond-shaped panes and protect an automated red light. Overall the light is some 60 feet above Lake Michigan.
The ferry from Leland, Michigan to South Manitou Island passes close to the light, which is not open to the public.
2006 views by Jim Lindholm
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com