Washington Breakwater Light
Marks the harbor entrance off Lake Michigan at Port Washington, Wisconsin.
Built 1934, the modern square white steel tower on concrete legs is identical to the Indiana Harbor light, and has a focal plane of 78-feet above lake level. It is located at the end of a long breakwater.
It replaced other breakwater lights which were built in 1850 and 1889. Port Washington claims to be the first man-made harbor in the country.
The light is an active aid to navigation and is not open to the public. The breakwater can be dangerous to walk if there is any sea rolling.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com