Bay Canal Light
Located at the east entrance to the Sturgeon Bay Ship Canal from Lake Michigan, near Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin, immediately behind the North Pierhead Light on the grounds of U.S. Coast Guard Station Sturgeon Bay.
Built in 1899 and substantially modified in 1903, the white steel skeleton tower is 98-feet tall and creates a focal plane of 103-feet above mean lake level.
The watch room and lantern are supported by the steel framework, and the original steel cylinder supports only the stairs inside. The tower was rebuilt to withstand the strong winds in the area. The original tower was supported by the present stair tube. The windows are the helical bar style.
A Third Order rotating lens with 8 panels has been removed in recent years.
The light is an active aid to navigation located on US Coast Guard Station Sturgeon Bay, and is not open to the public. However, it can be viewed and photographed from the parking lot and pier that holds the Sturgeon Bay Canal North Pierhead Light.
Drive to the end of Canal Drive, on the north side of the canal, off Highways 42/57.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com