Charlevoix South Pierhead Light
By Dave Wobser

Located on the south breakwater at the entrance to Round and Charlevoix Lakes in Charlevoix, Michigan from Lake Michigan.

A skeletal steel tower, exposed at the bottom, with 10-sided lantern and Fifth-Order Fresnel lens, built in 1948. The present light replaced a wooden tower that had been built on the north pier in 1885, and moved to the south pier in 1914.

The light tower was painted red in 2009 to keep in the pattern of "Red Right Returning" that is used on most harbor markers.

One of the primary vessels benefiting from the Charlevoix Light is the Beaver Island ferry.

Located at the end of Grant Street in Charlevoix, Michigan. Also visit the USCG Station Charlevoix located next to the Beaver Island Ferry dock.

Click on images to enlarge

New red paint job
Photos by Jim Lindholm

Earlier white paint scheme
Photograph by Dave Wobser

2010 view from the water  Dave Wobser

Location: End of Grant Street, Charlevoix, MI
Date Built: 1948
Active: Yes

Open to

Yes, pier only.
Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Michigan Index