Kevich Light, located on the shores of Lake Michigan in the Town of Grafton, WI, marks the site of the 19th Century Port Ulao. Port Ulao was once a thriving port where lake steamers stopped to load wood for fuel. A wooden pier extended 1,000 feet into Lake Michigan.
Kevich Light was built in 1981 and certified as a U.S. Coast Guard Class II Private Aid to Navigation in 1990. The tower stands 40 feet tall on a bluff 120 feet above Lake Michigan. It is the second highest light on the lake. The light source consists of 1000-watt and 400-watt metal halide bulbs. A shield rotates around the lights once every 8 seconds providing 4 seconds of light and 4 seconds of darkness. The lights are controlled automatically by photoelectric cells.
Kevich Light is privately owned and operated by a family that lives in the attached residence. It is believed to be one of only a few privately owned, operating residence lighthouses in the U.S.
Click on image to
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com