Sable Point Light
A major coastal light for Lake Michigan shipping, and still an active aid to navigation.
Completed in the Spring of 1874, the 107-foot tall round red brick tower is the only remaining structure. The tower is topped a brick watch room surrounded by a cast iron walkway supported by cast iron supports. The tower is the typical Poe-style with four arched windows under the gallery. The lantern room is 10-sided and topped by a copper roof.
The lantern room contains a Third-Order Fresnel lens, manufactured by Sautter & Co. of Paris. The lower portion consists of 8 fixed panels, the upper portion 10 rotating panels.
The keeper's dwelling was demolished by Coast Guard in 1954 when light was automated, after electric power reached this remote site. Evidence of the connection between the dwelling and tower are obvious to the visitor.
Located on Little Sable Point (Lake Michigan) in Silver Lake State Park, near Mears, Michigan. Go to the end of Silver Lake Road look for the lighthouse parking lot. This is an excellent swimming beach and Lake Michigan produces some great sunsets. The parking lot has close to 200 spaces but during nice weather will most likely be filled by beach users.
The lighthouse is part of a Michigan State Park, and an entrance fee is required. Part of the fee helps preserve the lighthouse.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com