Traverse (Harbor Point) Light
Located on Harbor Point near Petoskey, Michigan on Lake Michigan to mark the entrance to Little Traverse Bay.
In 1883 the U. S. Government purchased three and one-half acres from the Harbor Point Association for the erection of a lighthouse. Little Traverse Light was built by the U. S. Lighthouse Service in 1884.
The station consists of a two-story red brick keeper's house with an attached square 40-foot high red brick tower built in 1884. The 10-sided lantern room is painted white, with a red roof, and contains a Fourth-Order Fresnel lens. The lens was manufactured by L. Sautter, Lemonnie & Co. in Paris in 1881.
A rare fog bell tower was erected in 1896 and stands in front of the tower. Other structures on the grounds included a brick paint locker, summer kitchen attached to lighthouse by covered portico, wooden boat storage building, modern auto garage
The lighthouse was manned by personnel of the Lighthouse Service and the U. S. Coast Guard until it was decommissioned in 1963 and is no longer an active aid to navigation. It was replaced by a light on a 62-foot skeletal steel tower. At the time of decommissioning, the lighthouse and property were sold back to the Harbor Point Association.
Owned by the Harbor Point Association, a private gated complex, the lighthouse can only be viewed by private boat from Petoskey or Harbor Springs.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com