North Pierhead Light
The third light to be located here. The first light was built in 1871 and destroyed by fire. It was replaced by a light on the south pier in 1873, along with a new light for the north pier. The present light was built in 1927.
The conical, white tower is made of riveted steel plates. It is 39-feet high with 10-sided, black lantern and 155 mm plastic lens. A reconstructed elevated catwalk connects the lighthouse to the shore. The catwalk was originally used by the keepers to tend the light during rough weather.
Located at the end of Fifth Avenue, on the north side of the Manistee River, in Manistee, Michigan. A nice beach area to spend some time is adjacent. The lighthouse is open to visitors when the weather is favorable to walk out the breakwater.
USCG Station Manistee is located at the land end of the lighthouse pier.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com