Located on the end of Peninsula Point, separating Big and Little Bays de Noc at the north end of Green Bay.
Only the 40-foot square brick tower remains of the 1866 station. The attached 1-1/2 story Keepers Quarters burned down in 1959.
The light was decommissioned and abandoned in 1936 after the Minneapolis Shoal Light went into service.
The tower is open for visitors to climb the cast iron spiral stairway to the 10-sided cast iron lantern room.
The light tower is located at the end of County Road 513 from US-2, about 3 miles east of the town of Rapid River. This is a 17-18 trip on a road that progressively gets narrower and rougher, but the view from the tower is worth the trip.
Click on images to enlarge
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com