Point (Escanaba) Light
Built in 1867, at a cost of $11,000, to mark the harbor entrance from Lake Michigan at Escanaba, Michigan.
The light is interesting in that the square brick tower is attached to the back side of the dwelling, and not on the water side. The story and one-half dwelling is white painted brick. The front door enters through the base of the tower.
The light was decommissioned in 1939 after installation of the nearby Escanaba Harbor Light. The dwelling became the residence of the Office in Charge of the U.S. Coast Guard Escanaba Aids to Navigation Team until 1985. Major renovations took place during this period, to the point that the building was hardly recognizable as a lighthouse.
The 41-foot square brick tower attached to the end of a story and one-half dwelling has been restored since 1985 by the Delta County Historical Society and is open for tours. The interior is decorated as it would have appeared over 100 years ago.
The lantern is from an abandoned light on Poverty Island and the Fourth Order Fresnel lens came from Menominee. These items were collected and installed as part of the restoration. The light was relit in 1989.
Located on Sand Point, in Ludington Park Beach.
Follow US-2 and US-41 to the end of Ludington Street. The lighthouse is open from memorial Day through Labor Day, 7 days a week, from 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Off season tours can be arranged through the Sand Point Lighthouse, PO Box 1776, Escanaba, MI 49829, or call 906-786-3763.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com