This small island lies west of Waugoshance Light near the shipping channel approach to the Straits of Mackinac. The island is a narrow strip of land about 12 miles northwest of Cross Village, Michigan in Lake Michigan. The island varies in size depending upon Lake Michigan water levels, but only rises a few feet above water.
The first light was established here in 1851, followed by a structure erected in 1868. The present, octagonal white 58-foot tower is all that remains of the third reconstruction of this station from 1888. The octagonal lantern contains a Fourth Order Fresnel lens exhibiting a light 58 feet above mean water level. The 1888 keeper's dwelling and fog signal building have been removed, leaving the tower alone with a massive collection of seagulls.
Ile Au Galets is French for Island of Pebbles, which is a good description of this low lying island. Only a few small trees and shrubs grow in the island.
The island and light is only accessible by small boat.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com