Haven South Pier
Located at the western end of the concrete pier in South Haven, Michigan the original lighthouse was built in 1872. This light was of wood construction and displayed a Fifth Order Fresnel lens. Today's light, built in 1903 exhibits a Sixth Order Fresnel glass lens.
The round, 36-foot tall, steel tower is connected to the shore by an elevated catwalk that permitted light keepers to get to the tower in rough weather. The tower is 11.5 feet in diameter and painted red. It supports a round black lantern room that exhibits a red light through a Sixth Order glass lens and is visible for 13 miles.
Accessible to the public, the South Haven lighthouse is located on the south pier at the mouth of the Black River, at the end of Water Street.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com