Point (Racine Point) Light
Located on Lake Michigan, north of Racine Harbor, on Windridge Drive off Lighthouse Drive, Racine, Wisconsin. Wind Point sticks out into the lake, and this lighthouse was erected as a major coastal light.
Built in 1880, the 108-foot white brick tower is attached to a 1-1/2 story brick dwelling. The tower was designed by General Orland M. Poe and features four arched windows under the gallery and wrought-iron brackets that support the gallery. The tower and dwelling have been nicely restored and preserved. The dwelling measures 70-feet by 22-feet, and originally had three apartments for the head keeper and two assistants.
The 10-sided cast iron lantern originally had a Third Order Fresnel lens, and light was created by kerosene until 1924 when it was electrified. The light was the second one to be electrified on the Great Lakes, and now exhibits a rotating airport-style beacon.
The original lens was replaced in 1964 by a DCB-24R lens when the light was automated. The Fresnel lens is on display in the caretakers dwelling on loan from the Racine Heritage Museum.
The brick fog signal building which was added 1900, operated on 40 psi steam pressure and could be heard for 10 miles. The horn was removed in 1965.
Evidence of railroad pier is still left near the waters edge. The railroad (tramway) would have been used to haul supplies from visiting Lighthouse Tenders to the dwelling. Other structures on the site include an oil house, garage, two storage buildings and a covered walkway between the keepers dwelling and tower.
Since 1964, the buildings have been used by the Village of Wind Point as a village hall and police headquarters.
The light remains as an active aid to navigation. Visitors are permitted on the grounds.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Michigan Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com