Burlington Main Light
A limestone tower built in 1858 to replace a wooden 1837 light that was destroyed in a fire started by sparks from a passing steamer.
The limestone tower is 55 feet tall. It was built by John Brown around the same time he was building the six "Imperial Towers" on Lake Huron and Georgian Bay.
The small 1-1/2 story keepers dwelling is brick. It construction is similar to those found at the Imperial Towers. Neither have had much care in some time.
The light has long been hidden by the lift bridge across the Burlington Canal that connects Hamilton Harbor with Lake Ontario.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com