Cobourg East Pierhead Light
 

Cobourg is located about half-way between Toronto and Kingston, along the north shore of Lake Ontario. A village was located here as early as 1816.

In 1833, the steamboat Cobourg began running between Cobourg and Oswego, New York. The business consisted of bringing in immigrants and manufactured goods and shipping out lumber.

Cobourg was the northern terminus for the ferry Ontario1 which brought loads of coal-filled railroad cars to serve the Canadian railroads, beginning in 1907. Ontario 1, and a sister ship Ontario 2, ran until the conversion to diesel railroad engines reduced the need for coal.

Today the ports primarily use is recreational boating.

Click on image to enlarge

Photograph by Sean Tamblyn

  •  
Location: End of the east pier, Cobourg, Ontario.
Date Built: 1915
Active: Yes

Open to
public:

Exterior only

 

Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes Lake Ontario Index

Copyright Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com