Gibraltar Point Light
Reputed to be the oldest existing lighthouse on the Great Lakes.
Plaque on wall, erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board, reads: "This lighthouse, one of the earliest on the Great Lakes, was completed in 1808 as a hexagonal tower 52-feet high, topped by a wooden cage with a fixed whale-oil lantern.
In 1832 it was raised to 82-feet and later equipped wit a revolving light.
The mysterious disappearance of its first keeper, J. P. Rademuller, in in 1815 and the subsequent discovery nearby of a human skeleton enhanced its reputation as a haunted building.
|.Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com