Oswego West Pierhead Light
The present Oswego West Pierhead Light was built in 1934 and is the last of several lights to mark this pier at the mouth of the Oswego River.
The first was light here was built on the east side of the river in 1822. In 1836 a stone pier was built on the west pier.
The present metal sheathed tower and fog signal building are active aids to navigation and are maintained by the Coast Guard. A flashing red light is displayed through a rotating Fourth Order Fresnel lens.
The Oswego River connect Lake Ontario with the Erie Canal system and the Hudson River. Lock 6 is located near downtown Oswego. The nearby H. Lee White Museum features Colonial and Iroquois exhibits up through present times. The museum includes a floating tug and steam-powered derrick barge in the river adjacent to the museum.
The light is best viewed White Museum or from Fort Ontario on the east side of the river. Fort Ontario is a State Historic Site with authentic buildings and daily drills and ceremonies performed during the summer.
The State of New York maintains a wonderful scenic by-way called the Seaway Trail. Along this roadway are many lighthouses, all described in a pamphlet called Seaway Trail Lighthouses, which is available from Seaway Trail, Inc., Madison Barracks, 109 Barracks Drive, Sackets Harbor, NY 13685.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com