Port Dalhousie Range Lights
The importance of Port Dalhousie was enhanced in 1829 with the opening of the Welland Canal. The port was the Lake Ontario entry to the first three canals.
The Front Light was built in 1879 and is located near the end of a 1500-foot long breakwater on the east side of the harbor entrance. It is a fairly common Canadian-design tapered, square, wood frame structure with an octagonal lantern on top. The light is covered with wooden shingles. A doorway projects from the south side.
The 40-foot tall rear light is similar to the front light, but taller. The lantern is twelve sided. The first rear light was erected in 1852, and replaced in 1893. The 1893 light was destroyed by fire after being struck by lightening. The present structure was erected in 1898.
Both towers are painted white with green lantern rooms.
The lights are easily viewed and photographed from downtown Port Dalhousie, which is a fun place to spend a summer day. The town has been a resort area since the early 1900's, attracting visitors to the beaches and parks by passenger ferry from Toronto. Summer ferry service is still operating.
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com