This light marks the outlet of Lake Ontario into the St. Lawrence River, a few miles west of the village of Cape Vincent, NY.
The present 69-foot white stucco tower, built in 1854, is the second light at this location. The first was built in 1827.
The light is equipped with a Fourth Order Fresnel Lens. A fog signal building near the tower houses a fog whistle.
The keepers dwelling is also the second to be built on this site. The first dwelling was built in 1827 and replaced in 1907.
The former keepers dwelling is part of the International Hostel program and is open from May 15 to October 15. Room rates start at $15 per person. A gift shop and picnic tables also grace the grounds.
The State of New York maintains a wonderful scenic by-way called the Seaway Trail. Along this roadway are many lighthouses, all described in a pamphlet called Seaway Trail Lighthouses, which is available from Seaway Trail, Inc., Madison Barracks, 109 Barracks Drive, Sackets Harbor, NY 13685.
If you would like to contribute information or pictures, please send to email@example.com
More Photographs by Richard Lewis
2009 photos by Dave Wobser
|Return to Lighthouses of the Great Lakes||Lake Ontario Index|
Copyright © Lighthouse.Boatnerd.com